Friday, August 15, 2014

Aubrey Plaza Discusses 'Life After Beth'

I'm somewhere near Topanga Canyon, in an Alice in Wonderland-themed bar, drinking Chimay with an extraordinary woman who tells me she dreamed of becoming a ballerina as a child, but her parents couldn't afford ballet lessons. I feel my heart fall out of my chest and shatter on the barroom floor. I wish there was something I could do to alter the past, but since there's not, I buy her another drink. You do what you can.
AC/DC's "Back in Black" blares, and the subject changes.

I rave about Aubrey Plaza, saying she's "one of Hollywood's most intriguing and gifted comedic actresses" and mentioning that I'll soon be writing about her and her new film Life After Beth, a deranged romantic comedy in which Aubrey drops dead and then returns to life as a zombie who listens to smooth jazz and resumes a relationship with her now totally freaked out boyfriend. Aubrey Plaza -- sardonic scene stealer on NBC's smash sitcom Parks and Recreation and in films including Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Safety Not Guaranteed and Judd Apatow's Funny People -- is enough of a reason to watch any film, but in case you need more, Life After Beth also offers stellar and enjoyable performances from Dane DeHaan, John C. Reilly, Molly Shannon, Paul Reiser, Cheryl Hines, Matthew Gray Gubler and Anna Kendrick. There's even a wacky cameo by lovable show biz demigod Garry Marshall.

Read more



No comments:

Post a Comment